Piggy Collard Greens
Philly Boy Jay knows his greens. I changed it a bit, but it is basically the same. Sauted the hocks to get them crispy and used the ham hock broth for the cooking liquid. You can check out his video here
- Ham Hocks (get the expensive ones from whole foods or Alfalfa’s if you can, they are pretty expensive for hocks but they are worth it)
- Bunch of collards
- Peppers (anything will work)
- Can of Tomatoes (optional, I rarely use it)
For the ham and water
- Cover ham hocks with water till they look like Crockadiles on the nile.
- Pressure cook them hocks for 45min, natural release (or simmer for ~2-4hours)
- Save the water!
- Pull out the ham and let cool a bit.
For the Collards
- Strip the stems from the leaves, hold leaves in your other hand in an “ok” sign, and pull quick. The stem should com right out. Or cut the stems out if your kung-fu is weak.
- Wash the collards in a big bowl.
- Lay collards one atop another and roll up cigar-style.
- Chiffonade, i.e. cut em.
For the stew
- Strip meat from bones and chop up, save bones.
- Chop the peppers, onion and garlic.
- Pan fry the chopped-up ham in the pressure cooker till a bit crispy.
- Saute the peppers, onion and garlic in the pressure cooker a bit.
- The whole thing should have a bit of fat in it by now, if not add some 🙂
- Add collards by handfuls and let it wilt a bit.
- Salt and pepper.
- Keep adding collards until they all fit
- Add water till it looks like it is a bit soggy but not swimming
- Pressure cook 20 min, quick release.
- Philly Boy Jay – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jfUrYYzCuI
- Nom Nom Paleo – http://nomnompaleo.com/post/46341757504/paleo-eats-32513
- This Lady – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz8ebdd7HtA